OVP Forums - A community of assistance, help, questions, and answers.
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch      RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in
Firewall problem when launching OVP simulation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Open Virtual Platforms Forum Index -> Host Platforms
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavideQuaglia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Firewall problem when launching OVP simulation Reply with quote

When a virtual platform is executed (e.g., by using the command "./platform.Linux32.exe application.OR1K.elf or1k"), OVPSim checks the license by sending a HTTP request to the OVP License Manager. Here you can find such request followed by the corresponding response.

Code:

-------request----------
GET http://www.ovpworld.org/tools/date.php?vidc=5c18eed5838ca43839ae74d71b661fd2 HTTP/1.0
Host: www.ovpworld.org
User-Agent: http_get
Accept: */*
Accept-Encoding:
Accept-Language: en
Accept-Charset: iso-8859-1,*,utf-8

-------response----------
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 08:37:43 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS)
X-Powered-By: PHP/5.3.27
Content-Length: 84
Connection: close
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8

7a35614f0a170851165c4a042e62634f5c4b0d01195b16507e3466415e140856145d42567b6661465b

Some new OVP users experience a long delay after launching OVPSim, followed by a license error. First of all, the following common problems must be checked:

• the license file is correct (sometimes, the installation of new OVP packages resets this file);
  • the environment variables are correctly set;
  • user's organization does not use a web proxy or, in affirmative case, the corresponding environment variable is set.

If these aspects have been checked, the problem could be due to the firewall of the user's organization which blocks the exiting HTTP request. Why?

Let's analyze the same HTTP request/response reproduced by using a normal web browser (e.g., Firefox).

Code:

-------request----------
GET /tools/date.php?vidc=5c18eed5838ca43839ae74d71b661fd2 HTTP/1.1
Host: www.ovpworld.org
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:26.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/26.0
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Connection: keep-alive
Cache-Control: max-age=0

-------response----------
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 08:50:18 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS)
X-Powered-By: PHP/5.3.27
Content-Length: 84
Connection: close
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8

7a35614f0a170851165c4a042e62634f5c4b0d01195b16507e3466415e140856145d42567b6661465b

Normally, this interaction is not blocked by the same firewall. If we compare the two requests, in the OVPSim one we can notice a strange value for the field "User-Agent:", i.e., "http_get". This value forces many level-7 firewalls to block the request.

I kindly ask OVP developers to fix the problem in the OVP simulator. In the meantime, users can ask their sys-admin to change firewall rules at least for the IP addresses of the workstations devoted to OVP simulation. If the firewall does not allow this solution, the sys-admin can setup a web proxy for which no restriction is specified in the firewall; this proxy could be used only by OVP users which should set the corresponding environment variable as follows:

Code:

IMPERAS_PROXY_SERVER=<ipaddr>:<port>
ChrisSmith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Davide,

I've the same issue, but cannot add firewall exceptions like that.
So, dear OVP dev folks, can you please change that behavior, I also plan to test your tools in a totally isolated env where no network at all is available.
Question to OVP: why do you need absolutely to check validity of the license?

Chris
LeeMoore
OVP Technologist
OVP Technologist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

I recall there are 2 potential issues

1. do you use a proxy server to access the internet, or do you have direct access
if you use a proxy server you need to configure the simulator to access via this proxy server

Quote:
Please set the following variable accordingly, based on the settings of your network proxy server

IMPERAS_PROXY_SERVER=<ipaddr>:<port>

2. the issue Davide reported was due to a malformed http request, whcih we have fixed in
an internal beta version

I will speak to our release manager about promoting this beta version to the external OVP website

Thx
Lee
ChrisSmith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lee,

Whoa, that's super fast reply, thanks!

Ok: yes, we use proxy here to go on internet, got that. I also understand that with uncounted license type, there is no such way around than the mandatory connection to the internet, correct? So: do I've to check w/ Imperas directly if I want to evaluation your products in an isolated env with no internet access at all?

For Davide's problem: got that, thanks.

Best Chris
LeeMoore
OVP Technologist
OVP Technologist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris

Quote:
I also understand that with uncounted license type, there is no such way around than the mandatory connection to the internet, correct?

That is correct

Quote:
So: do I've to check w/ Imperas directly if I want to evaluation your products in an isolated env with no internet access at all?

That is correct also, I will PM you with an Imperas contact to discuss obtaining an eval license

Thx
Lee
ChrisSmith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lee for you help.

Regarding Imperas, I already am in touch w/ Larry Lapides, had a quick talk with him recently. Must admit that for the moment I've to get used to what does each one between OVPWorld and Imperas :)

Best Chris
ChrisSmith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lee,

Just to mention I finally found proxy config here, set the env var, works as epxected, really cool, now I am set and can play ... must say your sim models are amazingly fast, very good JIT and morphing, really good!

Chris
LeeMoore
OVP Technologist
OVP Technologist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the validation :-)

So just to confirm, your issue was only the proxy server, and nothing to do with the issue reported earlier in the thread regarding firewall
Quote:
"User-Agent:", i.e., "http_get"

Thx
Lee
ChrisSmith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lee,

Yes, just the proxy, nothing else.

But as already mentioned: could be a very good argument to provide offline evaluation period too wo/ need to connect to your servers for validation. Feasible? And if not why?

Thanks for your fast support.

Br Chris
DuncGrah
OVP Technologist
OVP Technologist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,
As the reference simulator from OVP, OVPsim, is free to download and use directly from the OVPWorld website there is no control over where the technology goes so we add some restrictions; being connected to the internet is one of them.

If you wish to evaluate an equivalent simulator without this restriction and which can be used for commercial purposes (OVPsim is restricted to non-commercial usage) please contact info@imperas.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Open Virtual Platforms Forum Index -> Host Platforms All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: